Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Daily Differences

Hola! (I'm running out of ways to greet you in English...)

So this post is called "Daily Differences" you probably noticed that already when you read the title... However (usually I'd say "anyways" but today I learned that using anyways to mean however is wrong. Apparently I should be using the word "anyway." But that's besides the point.) However, I can fore see this Daily Differences Post using more than once seeing as I notice differences in my daily living from before and after ED everyday. Just a heads up there could be multiple posts named "Daily Differences" partly because words are hard and I don't want to make a million different titles but also because I dig the alliteration. 

So today I was working out. Not really out of the ordinary. I had already worked all day which for me requires lots of energy (CALORIES). I ate my usual amount of food which I'm still trying to workout the kinks on it. Meaning I'm still not one hundred percent sure that I know exactly what my body needs to be happy yet. But for real doe, the important part is that I'm trying to find that perfect balance between calorie intake and calorie expenditure rather than an expenditure that is much higher than my intake. Actually I will do you a huge solid and tell you a secret... if you take in a lot less calories than you expend you wont simply lose weight super fast and efficiently. Your metabolism will in fact slow down making it more difficult to lose weight. Your body needs nourishment, rest, and exercise to thrive. You probably already know this. And I've known it forever as well. But riddle me this, do you actually believe it and implement it in your everyday life. You should. Otherwise your body will rebel and not function at its full capacity. 

Moreover, I went to work and ran around all day like a 9 year old boy. Ate an apple. Went to the coffee shop got an iced americano and hit the gym. I wasn't hungry when I got there. I did some strength with a friend and then started my cardio workout. After about 20 minutes I was STARVING (okay, I'm exaggerating. I wasn't STARVING, but I was pretty much out of fuel. And my body was letting me know.) I finished my stair climbing workout and then moved on to treadmill. I ran for like 4 minutes and my hip flexor started to hurt (old injury) so I  got off.. NOTICE how I just respected my body.. Sick huh? I tried the elliptical, Did it for like 5 minutes and realized that my mind wasn't on the gym it was on my hunger pangs. I left the gym, drove home and ate a sensible meal with all the food groups. Look how normal I am! 

In the past I would've went through work trying to exercise like a mad woman. I wouldn't have let myself digest much throughout the day because I'd be working to try to purge everything. I would've went to the gym by myself instead of going with a friend. I would've done an excessive amount of cardio regardless of my obvious lack of energy. Sometimes I would close my eyes while ellipticalling because I was so exhausted. I would've done an hour long strength class and tried to lift the most. Then I'd drive home, make sure I was alone and binge on a ton of food. Then I might even go back to the gym. Then I'd repeat that sequence 7 days a week. 

That life sounds like hell. I wasn't personable, kind, fun, or anything. I was a zombie. So that's my daily difference. Workouts feel much better when you have proper fuel and rest. 


Bre: Learning to balance. Ed: Nada

2 comments:

  1. Hey I like your blog I also have one about ED recovery http://journeytoalifeworthliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Cool! I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete