Monday, July 28, 2014

Where is my heart?

today my teacher asked me
where my heart was.
anatomically, i should’ve answered
‘just to the left of the breastbone.’
but my god that’s not where my heart is at all.
it’s inside you.


I saw that quote today and it got me thinking. Where is my heart? I decided that my heart isn't just in one place. I've invested little tiny pieces in different aspects of my life. This is probably good. At least I think so. Because if my heart isn't all in one place it can't get completely shattered. No one thing could occur that would completely destroy me. 

Of course my parents have part of my heart. As I get older that piece changes from a need to make them proud and happy into a need to be myself and make myself happy. I still love my parents. Don't get me wrong. But I love my independence more. I love that I have my own personality, identities, and dreams that don't necessarily coincide with every one of their values. Everyday that becomes more and more okay.

My greatest of friends have a piece of my heart. They usually hold it with care. They lift it out of harms way and keep it away from predators. This piece of my heart is one that I really won't ever have to worry about. Because if anyone of my good friends were to set my heart down, even for a second. Then they didn't deserve to hold it in the first place. 

Lovers. Every time I get involved with anyone I give them a little piece. I hand it to them gingerly because eventually it gets tossed back at me like a tennis ball but I still give it away like a sophomore on prom night. Its how I work. It's obvious that I wear my heart on my sleeve. But its a big heart and I can afford to give pieces away to any girl who gets my attention. These are the pieces my friends tell me to keep. Basically I live by the motto "its better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all." 

Chops. My dog son. He holds a big chunk of my heart. He carries it as if it was his own. He protects it as if it was his bone. This piece of my heart I would give to chops everyday in every way. He earned it. Just by being him. 

Crossfit. Crossfit. Crossfit. Of course Crossfit holds like half my heart. Its my vice. Without it I don't know who I'd be. I love everything about it. Especially the community. At first I didnt even give my heart to Crossfit but rather it ran away with it the moment my coach said 3-2-1-GO.  

These people and things that hold pieces of me. Pieces of my heart will forever have them. I can't get them back and I'd never want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment