Thursday, March 27, 2014

Things I've Learned SLASH Things I've Paid More Attention To Recently

1. Every rep counts.
It seems like something so simple and something so focused on exercise. When I say "every rep counts" I'm thinking of more than just exercise. Every thought you have counts. Every smile you give someone counts. Every time you hurt someone's feelings it counts. Every breath you take counts. EVERYTHING (every rep) counts. Nothing you do goes without consequences, repercussions, or notice.

2. Expectations are important.
If you expect yourself to do well 9 times out of 10 you will do better than you would have. Set high goals. It's okay if it takes you awhile to get there, as long as you get there.

3. Saying you don't have time for something is a cop out.
You have time for anything you prioritize. You might say you dont have time to clean your room. You do. You would rather do other things. You'd rather go to crossfit, sleep, be with humans, or anything else but if you're saying you dont have time for something thats not true. It's just not a priority of yours.

4. There is something about the word: Love.
Once you said it or really thought it there is no going back. You can be mad as hell at someone but if you loved them once you wont want to see them truly suffer. If you loved them ever or at all you will remember that eventually. Certain loved ones might become less important to you but in reality they will always be a part of who you are and someone you care about.

5. Recovery shakes post workout are awesome.
I used to be afraid of the extra calories. I didn't understand why someone would work so hard to burn them if they were just going to ingest them right after. I now understand that your body needs that nourishment or else you cant get better. All the work you just did was basically nothing. So eat/drink something full of macronutrients (protein, fat, and carbohydrates) after your workout. It will only help you.

6.  Find your happy medium
You only get one body so you should do your best to protect it. Invest in a good pair of shoes. Eat a wide variety of nutrients. Exercise. Have fun. Do something for you. Do something for others. Test your capabilities. Challenge your mind. But don't do to much. Learn your limits and learn how to increase your limits. Although you only have one body and you should be smart with it you should have much fun as possible. It's the fun you will remember later.

7. Well-being always out weighs waist size
Recently a wise college freshman told me, "thick thighs and a peaceful state of mind beat petite every time." I used to be skinnier, more petite, more of what the magazines might call beautiful but my mind was racing and my thoughts were destructive. She told me not to let society push anything on me. She was right. The only reason I thought what I looked like was more appealing was because that's what society has told me. Looking at old pictures of myself is a challenge but I'm working on it. I love how I am today. I love what my body can do. I love the endless gains I make in crossfit and the smile that comes to my face when I talk about it. I love that I've learned that I'm worth more than a number on the scale. Hell, I'm worth even more that the weight I can deadlift. I'm worth whatever I think I am and most of the time more than that. My well-being welcomes growth and ecstasy. My waist size is irrelevant.

Your waist size is irrelevant too.


No comments:

Post a Comment